Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Al Returns

After a nice two week vacation, Al returns.

To honor his return, here are some awards:

Bloated/Slippery Cocksucker of the Week:


Most In Need of a Good, Stiff “Shut The Fuck Up!”:


Runner Up, Most In Need of a Good, Stiff “Shut The Fuck Up!”:


Guilty of Taking World Cup Soccer Just a Bit Too Seriously:



Most In Need of a Good, Stiff “Get Fucked and Go Away" / "DIE!”:


Runner Up, Most In Need of a Good, Stiff “Get Fucked and Go Away" / "DIE!”:



Nice Outfit:




Runner up, Nice Outfit:




Fully healed (not including the toes) I’ve begun my training for triathlon. My first tri will be on July 9th. It’s a sprint tri. I’ve got some background in swim. I’ve raced as a marathoner, and I’ve done my share of club rides and can hang with the B boys (but I fucking hate the bagel stops). So I’m training for a bigger triathlon in October (a 1/2 Ironman). The 1/2 consists of a 1 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run. FUN! (The full Ironman is just too crazy for me to even consider.)

This week will be typical example of my early season training schedule:
Monday (yesterday): 30 mile bike on flats at about 20 mph avg. (I’ll bump that to 50 miles in the upcoming weeks and try to get the avg up to 22-24 mph. )
Tuesday: 4 mile run at race pace / swim workout/weights. The swim workouts vary but are all 2500-3000 yards. They involve endurance and form work right now. As I get closer to race day, I’ll be doing more speed. (And if you want to revamp your swimming, totally change your stroke and its efficiency, read “Total Immersion.”)
Wednesday: 4 mile run at race pace / Bike work—hill and interval training.
Thursday: 4 mile run at race pace / swim workout/weights.
Friday: OFF
Saturday:4 mile run at race pace /weights.
Sunday: 10 mile run at marathon pace.

6 Comments:

Blogger GVB said...

Welcome back. I trust you're all greased up for the swimming. If you start posting pictures of your bike saddle-ruined nuts I'm quitting the Internet forever.

Your friend in revolution,

-gvb

11:33 AM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Dude: I feel great in the water and on the bike. This is the shit. You must get splashin'.

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

P.S. Nut sack photos posted tomorrow. Nacho on thursday ( "nacho balls, nacho ass").

1:08 PM

 
Blogger GVB said...

I sink. Like a stone. This is why I like SCUBA.

8:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, about time. Fuck.

About your Monday avg speeds--you got those right, bra? Those are some cookin' speeds. I mean, I know you're Al Bangorhard and all, but damn I guess I'm going to be watching you ride off into the sunset...

10:54 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Fred:
To be fair, times were in that area. My comp and the one on Al k's ride differ by about 1 mile (mine being a bit faster). I'd say, to be conservative, that it was a definite 18 mph avg. I'd also have to say that that was our speed for 25-27 miles. The last 3- 5 we were sort of fucking off trying to devise a better route to South Country road. We doubled back a bit and wound around a little. (Our route out took us through South Central then Cranshaw.) I must also admit that it was absolutely flat and no real wind.

But I'd say we did this right. We got going at peak fitness after the marathon. I feel great in the pool and on the bike. Al K.--who never really road biked much--was strong the whole way too. I don't expect us to set any records nor burn anyone off the course when we do the first tri. But I won't be crawling at the end and shitting myself (which is just unacceptable to me unless you're in 97 degree Kona and you've got a full ironman behind you).

7:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home