Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Angry, Breathless Fucks

Al is back!!!

Hello all. Sorry to have been gone so long. Glad to be back. Colorado was beautiful. I did a lot of training at elevation, and I was surprised at how well the body handled it after a few days.





















Right now, I'm in training for the American Memorial Triathlon on 9/10. I had hoped to be able to have 5 or 6 triathlons for this season, but the calf injury set me back. Ah well.

In this piss weather, I've been logging a lot of foot miles. It's just been raining too hard for me to get out on the bike (though I did spin it out a bit on the trainer). And the outdoor pool is the only option right now until the indoor reopens (after Labor Day). So I've been a running fool. Monday was an 8 with Al k. Yesterday, I did a 5er with some speed work mixed in. Today, I did another 8 with Al K.


Al K. has been getting back into shape after going to pot in Spain. He went off and got hitched and then went on a Castillian honeymoon/bacchanal/bender followed by a couple weeks of lethargy and regret. I've got him back, firmly in my sway though. The force is strong in this one.


































Fred, too, went away and went to pot. He's back now with a new lease on life. Freddy-boy is switching his focus to the upcoming Cross season, and he's talking about mud slogs and Core training. (Yes, I too cringe at the faddish turns of our dear Fred. He's into Yoga, too. Sheesh!)


All is well in our little corner of the world.











And now, something to file under "You Can't Make This Shit Up!"

LONDON (Reuters) - Lung power normally declines as a person ages but being angry and hostile can speed up the process, researchers said on Thursday.

In a study of 670 men ranging in age from 45 to 86, they found that males who had higher levels of long-standing anger at the start of the eight-year project had significantly poorer lung function at the end of it.

"This study is one of the first to show prospectively that hostility is associated with poorer pulmonary function and more rapid rates of decline among older men," said Dr Rosalind Wright, of Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, in a report online in the journal Thorax.

The scientists used a scoring system to measures the levels of anger of each of the men and they tested their lung power three times during the study.

Even after taking account of other factors such as smoking that can also have an impact on lung power, hostility and anger had a negative effect.

Anger, hostility and stress have also been associated with heart disease, asthma and other ailments.

Wright and her team suggested that the negative emotions could change biological process and may disturb the immune system and cause chronic inflammation.

"Stress-related factors are known to depress the immune function and increase susceptibility to or exacerbate a host of diseases and disorders," said Dr Paul Lehrer, of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, in an editorial in the journal.

He added that it is unknown how chronic anger contributes to physical deterioration but said the researchers established a link between chronic anger and age-related deterioration in lung function.

"The next step is to determine the exact pathway by which this happens," said Lehrer.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that yoga move is called the Homo 77 (or, on the west coast, the Gay Double-L), not that Moveitfred has had any experience with the posture.

Al, you and Al K have been hammering out the miles. Here's a suggestion: first cross race just shoulder the Pooprad and run the whole fucking thing.

9:43 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Good suggestion. You know I'd finish with a better time. Remind me to show you the gruppo I'll be using with that particular rig (if you know what I mean).

11:03 AM

 
Blogger GVB said...

what the hell is happening to you east coasters? you're scaring me.

hey al, i am reading Total Immersion. cool stuff. it almost helps.

12:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the total Imersion CD. It kinda helps. I just needed a partner to hold my head for balance and I was afraid to ask anyone at the pool for help due to the fact he would probaly think I am a HOMO! I do like the things they teach you though. Ever thought about taking there two day seminar?

1:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moveitfred is lost. Is this what you guys are talking about?


Hacienda at Warm Sands...more than a vacation!
By Mike Boisvert

The facility is completely private and clothing-optional. You are encouraged to soak in their in-ground spa au naturel and enjoy this total immersion in nature. For generations, gay men have sunbathed nude. Today's generation is now realizing how relaxing this can be. Clothing-optional vacations are becoming common for us, and we are discovering what our European friends have known all along---simple nudity is total freedom. At Hacienda, the provide you the best souvenir of all---no tan lines!

1:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can read more here.
You're welcome.

2:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be considered the sappiest lovesong, but when framed gayly, it's uber-mega-gay!!

REO Speedwagon

Can't fight This Feeling

I cant fight this feeling any longer
And yet Im still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship, has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show

I tell myself that I cant hold out forever
I said there is no reason for my fear
Cause I feel so secure when were together
You give my life direction
You make everything so clear

And even as I wander
Im keeping you in sight
Youre a candle in the window
On a cold, dark winters night
And Im getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I cant fight this feeling anymore
Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
Its time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

Cause I cant fight this feeling anymore
Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I cant fight this feeling anymore

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
Ive been running round in circles in my mind
And it always seems that Im following you, girl
Cause you take me to the places that alone Id never find

And even as I wander Im keeping you in sight
Youre a candle in the window on a cold, dark winters night
And Im getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I cant fight this feeling anymore
Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
Its time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

Cause I cant fight this feeling anymore
Ive forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crushing through your door
Baby, I cant fight this feeling anymore.

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home