Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Al B. Hard Goes Down!

FUCK! What else is there to say? Al suffered a re-injury today, and he ain't happy.

History

In 2004, Al B. Hard started training for the NYC marathon. Because he was a fat, out of shape fucker then, he tore his calf muslce while trying to do something that approximated a sprint at the track. It was bad enough that Al could not walk the 1/4 home. This injury plagued Al for more than a year and made it impossible for him to run.

Present Day
I was pressing it a bit with Al K. today. We went out hard for the first 4 miles of what was to be our 8 miler. Suddenly, at the turn around, I felt that familiar pull / tear in the lower left calf muscle. Almost instantly I was hobbled. FUCK!

I really don't know what to do. I don't want to go to the last asshole Dr. I saw ("take 3 months off from exercising and see me then. Pay the lady at the front on your way out. Bye.") I need someone who is familiar with sports med / athletes. I'm very pissed.

I won't run again until I see the dr. My plan, right now, is to try to ride (primarily just spinning on the trainer, I think, with not much resistance); also I think I will swim a lot.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, fuck, bad news. Was it you who was telling Moveitfred about some mad-skilled sports doc in the city who worked for the jets, etc? Moveitfred knows a great orthopedic next time you break the clavicle, however the muscle strain/tear is a tough one.

10:59 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Yeah, I thought of this guy. But he's a knee guy. (Exclusively.) Do me a favor...see if any of the bike boys no someone good who might handle something like this. I'm working from this end too. THANKS!

11:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news Al. Good luck with the doctor search.

9:26 AM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Thanks H.

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Thanks H.

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, al, good luck.

12:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, al, good luck.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

This is weird. This doubling thing. And it has happened to me from both of my computers and from Safari and from Firefox. Weird.

But it reminds me of that scene in Goodfellas:

Henry (voice-over): And Jimmy Two Times who got that nickname because he said everything twice like...
Jimmy Two Times: I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

2:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home