Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Friday, June 23, 2006

Al For Now


Al got lucky. (No, not like that.)

The first 3 Dr.s I called (I should say offices...you NEVER speak to the MAN) said they'd be glad to squeeze me in...in October.

My dad, however, was on the job. His college buddy has a son in rehab medicine (not methadone, you pricks). I got the digits and they will see me whenever I get there (yes you heard right "whenever") on Monday. I'm in for Ultrasound and an MRI. Then we'll see what happens...

Here's another thought on the fucking stupidity and frustration associated with dr visits. I have a disk that is fucked in my neck. When it was bad (02 and 03) I tried to find a dr. and went through the "see you in 3 months" thing. But it gets worse. They always want, for these sorts of injuries, an MRI or some sort of advanced imaging. Typically, they do not do this in the office. So it is 3 months until the visit, then they simply write a scrip for an MRI after seeing you for 4 seconds. Then it is another two months until they even diagnose what the fuck is going on. But try, just to see what happens, to approach this logically. Ask them--during that first phonecall--if you can get the MRI during the time you're waiting for the first visit. Just ask, I dare you.

Anyway, I am a very lucky guy. I am circumventing all of this. Phew! Now let's just hope that my injury can be dealt with. Soft tissue is a bitch. And I'm starting to think this may be my achilles and not the muscle. (A little online research is definitely a dangerous thing.)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, is that fat slab of flesh YOUR leg? If so, amputate. I'll bring over some nail clippers and we'll cut through that shit in a coupla hours.

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Nah, Not me. I'm down below in the kryptonite sleeves. The long face is 'cause I'm so bummed.

4:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, if you are back in the saddle after a few months of rest, how about you come to so cal for a tri.

http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/CatalinaTriathlon/athlete9.htm

I am thinking of signing up for this one. My first one is July 22. Like to get you on the west coast for a little fun in the sun.

7:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, regarding that last comment by HJ, beware. His momma didn't name him that for nothin.

9:01 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Dude:
I would love it. But I worry that my tri days are a ways away. I've been reading about this sort of injury (perhaps a dangerous thing). I think I may have a partial tear/rupture of the achilles. (Hope I'm wrong.)

And I love that Fred is warning me off. The guy who does paceline with me in a see through bib: "yeah Al, you're doing good. But try to get in tighter. Real close to my rear..er..wheel."

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

H:
The tri looks beutiful! I've never been to Catalina but I have heard many rave reviews.

What is the water like? Current, chop? They describe it as a calm bay swim, but I have heard that sometimes that is done to "draw" people. And some of those fuckers in the pics don't have wetsuits. ! Impressive / crazy. I know it is only a 1/2 mile swim but the temps are 60s water and 70s air. That's chilly for non wetsuited behavior. I'd want at least a nice thermal rashguard and those long swim skin pants. (But I'm a fucking pussy.)

10:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my trips to Catalina Bay have been very peaceful. I have kayaked and snorkeled around the bay, both wonderful experiences. No chop. The bay is east facing and the swell is coming from the west so it is protected fairly well. Ocean temp is the pacific is typically is the 60's unless it is an El Nino weather pattern. How about that oceanography lesson? As far as the guys with no wet suits, they are from Anaheim Hills; they tend to be a little tougher than your average human.

While out is So Cal, you could see the block that Freddy used to rule!

2:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my trips to Catalina Bay have been very peaceful. I have kayaked and snorkeled around the bay, both wonderful experiences. No chop. The bay is east facing and the swell is coming from the west so it is protected fairly well. Ocean temp is the pacific is typically is the 60's unless it is an El Nino weather pattern. How about that oceanography lesson? As far as the guys with no wet suits, they are from Anaheim Hills; they tend to be a little tougher than your average human.

2:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information Heywood Jablome.

10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information Heywood Jablome.

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home