Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Sunday, July 02, 2006

In My View: A) Shut Up And Fuck Off Cow AND B) Shut Up, The Rest Of You Bitches

Star Jones Reynolds sorry for wedding spectacle
Friday June 30 9:51 PM ET

Newly fired co-host of "The View," Star Jones Reynolds, apologized to fans on Friday for getting "caught in the euphoria" of marital bliss when she planned her lavish, freebie-filled wedding in 2004.

Reynolds' mea culpa for behavior that earned her the label "Bridezilla" in tabloid headlines two years ago came during an appearance on NBC's "Today" show, one of several interviews she has given since her messy departure from "The View" this week.

ABC and Barbara Walters, creator, executive producer and lead host of "The View," has said the negative publicity surrounding Reynolds' wedding extravaganza was a key factor in turning viewers against her, which ultimately cost Reynolds her job.




The former prosecutor, then known as Star Jones, came under fire around the time of her November 2004 wedding to Al Reynolds when she accepted expensive wedding supplies and services for free, donated by corporate "sponsors" in return for publicity.



On Friday, Reynolds, 44, acknowledged that she had gotten carried away with her nuptials.

"I don't think I took the viewers on the right journey with me, and I want to apologize for that," she said. "I was a 40-year-old who, according to urban legend, had a better chance of being kidnapped by a terrorist than getting married. And I was caught in the euphoria. And I think I used, and some would say abused, my celebrity in planning the wedding."

If she had it to do over again, Reynolds added, "I would be more humble, and I would allow them to see the genuine character of who I am, which I hope they see right now."

But Reynolds was less forthcoming about another issue that ABC and Walters said came up in network research last year showing that Reynolds was falling out of favor with viewers -- her abrupt and dramatic weight loss.

While Reynolds is widely assumed to have shed more than 100 pounds with the help of gastric bypass surgery, she has never publicly acknowledged undergoing such an operation while promoting the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.

Asked about the issue by Roker, who himself has undergone gastric bypass, Reynolds would only say that "a medical intervention, doctors, had to step in to save my life." And she said found it "disheartening" that ABC "would use something so private ... at this moment."

Reynolds touched off a wave of public blood-letting when she caught Walters and ABC off guard by announcing on Tuesday's broadcast of "The View" that she would end her nine-year tenure on the show in July.




That same day, People magazine published excerpts of an interview in which Reynolds complained she had been given notice days before learning that Rosie O'Donnell, one of her most vocal critics, would be joining the show in the fall.

Walters, who had clasped hands with Reynolds, warmly wished her well and led the studio audience in a standing ovation on Tuesday, opened the next day's show with the frosty declaration that Reynolds was not welcome back.


Walters later said that she felt betrayed that Reynolds refused to stick to an understanding she had reached with ABC to leave the show with "dignity" -- by inventing a reason for her exit that the network and "The View" would support.


All right, I guess I need to say it: "Who Gives A Fuck?" So why am I reporting this, eh? I guess there's just a piece of me that grins at the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. In short, I just love seeing this cow brought low. Of course, there'll be another cow mooing her multiple and inane opinions soon: Rosie O'Don-cow. Is it just me, or would you smile from ear to ear if the View took their show on the road and the tour bus swerved off the road into a ditch, caught fire, exploded, rolled off the side of a mountain with the force of the blast, careened (while still burning) to a rock pile below, was then crushed by a landslide its fall started, was swallowed by an earthquake fault, and then compressed as the fault closed?


In the world of Al-lympics, I'm on the mend. I began doing some PT for the wheel. And I'm seeing some progress. I've pressed a bit with some fast (er) walking and more resistance while pedalling...so far so good. (But shit am I sore right now.) I'm tentatively thinking ahead: Could I get myself whole enough to do a sprint Tri in September? Can I get myself ready for cyclocross season in the Fall? Hmmmmmm

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Star was gunning for Oprah. When you mess with the big cow you get sprayed with milk (or something like that).

Al, what's up with the pt? Are you working solo, like masturbation, or do you have a nurse helping out?

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

I wish I had a nurse like that! I'm doing PT at a place near me right now. Soon I'll be doing it on my own though 'cause I can do all this shit myself. (Except for the stim which is just for pain, and I don't really need it.)

9:16 AM

 
Blogger GVB said...

Dude, stick with the PT, even if you can do it yourself. Reason? See Fred's comments re: masturbation.

11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home