Triathlon training, mania, battered feet, and booze

Friday, March 31, 2006

The Unkindest Cut of All




From About.Com

What is a Circumcision?
Circumcision is the surgical removal of the prepuce of the foreskin that covers the tip of the penis.
Function of the Prepuce
The prepuce is a normal part of the external genitalia. It protects the glans from chafing and abrasion during intercourse and from general wear and tear. It protects the glans from irritation in infancy when the baby is incontinent. It provides lubrication. It also contains erogenous tissue, in other words it contributes to sexual arousal.
{Emphasis mine.}
Reasons for Circumcision
Medical reasons for male circumcision are conflicting. Historically it was done to help stop masturbation. Medical opinion varies considerably on the issue of when and whether circumcision should be carried out. Male circumcision has often been carried out for reasons of hygiene. It is known that men who have had a circumcision seem to contract urinary tract infections less, that it may offer a little bit of a defence against sexually transmitted diseases and HIV (although the data is unclear and open to interpretation).




Ok, I've got to go on record here. Yesterday, I attended a bris (a Jewish circumcision ritual). This same ceremony and circumcision was performed for my son 2 years ago. I had the same 37 years ago. This revolts me. What we do to our sons is barbaric, and I'm against it. The trauma a baby suffers during this surgery (without local anesthesia) is horrific. I must believe that it psychologically impacts our kids.

And I've heard all the arguments about hygiene. I think they are bullshit. If you can open your mouth and brush and floss or spread your ass cheeks and scrub your crack, why can't you pull back a foreskin and clean your junk?

My students love to write about tribal rituals where women are circumcised. They (my students) are horrified that a culture could be so frightened by sexuality that it would resort to something so barbaric. Is what we do any different? (And, by the way, the motivation is the same.)

But here's the rub: you can't easily choose not to circumcise your child. He'll pull that hooded cobra out at the pool or in the gym locker room at school and suffer terrible ridicule for being so different.

It's ugly.

6 Comments:

Blogger GVB said...

Well, Al, GVB Jr. is fully intact. We never even considered it. My nephews are circumsized, and their parents have no religious or medical reason for it. It's arrogance: "I don't want their's to look different than mine".

Bullshit I say.

Out here on the left coast, where there is exactly one jew north of LA, the practice is losing steam. Our pediatrician once told me that only about half of the baby boys she delivers get circumcized.

12:07 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Good for you. I agree. Bullshit. Around here, it's a given that you'll get 'em clipped (and we're talking all people not just Jews).

2:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moveitfred Jr. ain't clipped. Stats on the right coast, from what I recall, are running about 30% and gaining slowly in terms of no cut. We also used a midwife for delivery which, round these parts, is akin to being the outcast vegan hippies on the block.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

You are outcast vegan hippies. The stats I got for Nassau county were about 70% down from 80%. And I got a Natl stat of 60% down from 70%. I hope that that trend continues. (It's funny because all the people we know around here respond with an "of course" when you ask them about it. But then they have no idea why.) And I wish that I had thought this all through beforehand. I'd like to be able to say that I didn't have my little guy trimmed.

4:42 PM

 
Blogger GVB said...

Little Al will be in his late 20s before it ever really comes up, if even then. He'll get over it.

11:09 PM

 
Blogger Hugh G. Balls said...

Little Al is a chip off the old block. He's already tuggin' at the thing everytime we open his diaper. (Funny, he grins and gets that same faraway look in his eye...)

7:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home